The small market town of Haddington lies 17 miles east of Edinburgh, just off the A1 and near the geographical centre of the East Lothian council area. It is the administrative centre of East Lothian, for historical reasons, despite the fact that there is a considerably larger town (Musselburgh) in the area. The town stands on the River Tyne. (No, not that one – we have one too!)
These days, the entire central area of Haddington is a conservation area. Market Street and High Street have the main shopping facilities, but the highlight is the riverside area around the elegant Nungate Bridge and the historic St Mary’s Parish Church. The latter, formally called The Collegiate Church of St Mary the Virgin and dating from 1380, is built of local red sandstone and is the longest church in Scotland. Today it is part of the Church of Scotland, but is known for its enthusiastic approach to ecumenical relations.